Well-Built, 1880s Medium-Size Trunk with Leatherette Trim and Working Lock & Key
This is a popular size trunk because it offers a lot of versatility. The wood tone and light leatherette are a great contrast to the darker tabs and straps.
If you compare the before picture and the completed trunk pictures, you’ll see that when we started this trunk it was missing some bottom pieces of hardware. We are happy to share that we found some (although they are not original to this trunk, they are original TO THE AGE AND STYLE of this trunk).
- The top has a very slight curve, offering a great useable surface.
- The wide, leatherette trim is in great condition and attached using nails with rounded heads.
- The lock is original and comes with a key.
- The hasps, located on each side of the lock, work great and are complete with the replaced bottom portion. When the body of a trunk is too damaged to restore, we strip off the hardware and save it for a trunk that needs it, like this one.
- The large guides, located on each side of the lock, help to keep the top and bottom secure during travel. We replaced the missing bottom of the guides. They look great.
- The corners are protected with beautiful CONTOURED HARDWARE while the edges are protected with wrap around hardware.
- The top edge protective hardware is in great condition.
- The four large rear hinges roll over the back edge for protection.
- The replacement handles are from brettunsvillage.com, while the handle hardware is original. The side handle hardware includes a small guide which helps to keep the sides secure during travel.
- The leather straps are also replacements from brettunsvillage.com. The original tabs are attached using beautiful large brass decorative tacks. This is the first trunk we have seen with these decorative brass tacks; they are original, unique, and really beautiful.
- The bottom includes four rollers to help with mobility.
- The inside offers a great storage area.
- The inside is finished with satin polyurethane, so it’s ready to use.
- We replaced the missing lid stay.
The outside and inside are protected with a Tung oil mixture and coat of satin polyurethane. Lastly, the trunk is waxed and hand rubbed for added softness.
This trunk measures inches 32.5 inches wide, 21 inches front to back, and 22.5 inches tall (measurements include hardware).
Our price includes insurance, packaging, and shipping to any of the 48 contiguous states. If you are located west of the Mississippi, please add $50 to the price.
|left end||right end|
|top||decorative brass tack|
|leatherette||wraparound edge hardware|
|side guide||lock, key & guides|