Impressive, Large Trunk with Working Eagle Lock & Key, Original Hardware, and Deep Divided Tray
Boy, I loved working on this beauty! It’s not only a wonderful piece of American history, but also a beautiful piece of furniture. Due to its size I don’t think it saw a lot of travel. It was probably used more for storing blankets and pillows, but that’s only a guess.
This trunk in remarkable condition and very well built. This would be a great trunk for someone wanting to display their military memorabilia.
- The top has a very slight curve, offering a large useable display surface.
- All the hardware is original and in great shape.
- The lock works great and comes with a key. It’s etched “EAGLE LOCK CO. TERRYVILLE, CONN USA.”
- The large guides, located on each side of the lock, help to keep the top and bottom securely in place when traveling.
- The large hasps include built-in lifts, which helps when opening the trunk.
- The built-in metal straps pass under the hardwood slats, adding to its overall stability.
- The hardwood slats are in great condition. There are five on top, two on each side and back.
- The wraparound hardware is in great condition. It’s located where the top corner edge meets the bottom corner edge of the trunk.
- The handle hardware is original, while the replacement leather handles are from brettunsvillage.com.
- The three large rear hinges roll over the back edge for protection..
- The awesome deep divided Tray is original. It’s a great candidate for a military shadow box.
- We replaced the damaged lid stay.
- The body of the trunk offers a great useable storage area..
The inside and outside are finished with a tung oil mixture and then a light coat of satin polyurethane. The finish is waterproof and soft to the touch.
This trunk measures 37 inches wide, 22.5 inches front to back, and approximately 24.5 inches tall at its highest point (measurements include hardware).
Our price includes insurance, packaging, and shipping to any of the 48 contiguous states. If you are located west of the Mississippi, please add $50.00 to the price due to weight and size. (Ca: 1880s, before suitcases)
|front||hasp with lift, metal strap & edge hardware|
|top||eagle lock & guide|
|front angle||handle hardware|
|left end||right end|
|another top||edge hardware|
|back||inside with deep divided tray|
|inside without tray|