Beautiful Dome Top, Metal Trunk with Beautiful Hardware
What a great looking piece of history! The hasps are etched “72” which translates to Ca: 1870s. This trunk is a great example of antique charm with a hint of modern décor. It has beautiful hardware and a graceful dome top. Removing the original multiple layers of silver paint exposed the trunk’s beautiful antique metal.
- The top grooved wooden slats were steamed to soften the, so they could be bent to follow the contour of the dome top. A true craftsman built this beauty. All the slats on top, front, sides, and back are in great shape.
- The unusual hasps are small but rugged. They are etched “JULY 9 72” which translates to 1872. They lock by sliding the side lever up and down to unlock.
- The front and rear top corners are protected with detailed cast iron hardware.
- This beauty includes six decorative rosettes, four on the top and two in the front.
- The handle hardware is original, while the replacement leather handles are from brettunsvillage.com.
- The lock does not have a key, but it lays nice and flat.
- The lift located over the lock is original. It’s used to raise the lid opening the trunk.
- The bottom includes built in rollers to help with mobility. Originally one roller was missing, so we paired the bottom board to add the missing roller.
- The inside provides a great storage area.
- The lid stay is original.
The inside and outside are finished with a Tung Oil mixture, satin polyurethane, waxed, and then buffed for added beauty. The finish is waterproof and durable so it’s ready to enjoy.
This trunk measures 32 inches wide, 18 inches front to back, and 21 inches tall.
Our price includes shipping to any of the 48 contiguous states. If you are west of the Mississippi, please add $50 to the price.
|cast iron corner hardware
|lock & lift
|another top view
|hardwood slat hardware
|hasp lever down/unlocked
|hasp lever up/locked